On this week’s episode, Felicia is chatting with Jean Chung, a knitwear/clothing designer who has been knitting since 1992 and designing since 2011. She has been published in Twist Collective, Knitscene, and Holla Knits. Jean is now focusing on publishing her designs only on her blog, Candy and Bagel, and designing and selling dancewear locally to have more time for her family and her full-time legal career.
Please join us as Felicia and Jean discuss expanding and exploring new creative ventures!
On her decision to expand Candy & Bagel beyond knitwear patterns: “I’m changing as a person… and Candy & Bagel is part of me and it has to change with me, otherwise… it will end… It has it’s own life as well, so it has to change.” — Jean Chung
In this episode, we talk about:
- 1:55 Jean chats about her family and her legal career
- 3:05 How Jean discovered knitting
- 5:20 Jean talks about starting her blog, Candy & Bagel, and her beginnings as a knitwear designer
- 8:20 Jean discusses her mother’s career as a fashion designer
- 9:45 Felicia and Jean chat about what inspires her designs and how she shifted from creating designs for knitting magazines to becoming her own boss publishing her own designs
- 11:39 Felicia asks Jean how she deals with creative slumps and Jean talks about her desire to expand Candy & Bagel beyond knitwear patterns
- 14:35 Jean tells Felicia about getting back into ballet and creating dance wear for adults
- 16:30 The ladies discuss being flexible and adapting your company to grow with you as a person
- 17:50 How Jean balances work, Candy & Bagel, and being a mom
- 21:40 Giving yourself room and flexibility to enjoy your craft
- 24:10 What Jean is working on right now
- 26:25 Felicia’s final notes and podcast giveaway!
Links and Things
Here’s where to find Jean online:
- Website: www.candyandbagel.com
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/candyandbagel
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/candyandbagel
- Pattern link for Winter Forest Pullover: www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/winter-forest-pullover
Win a free online copy of Jean’s Winter Forest Pullover pattern and a ballet skirt from Jean’s new dance collection! Simply enter your info here and we’ll enter you in the giveaway and also subscribe you to our SweetGeorgia newsletter, so you won’t miss out on any of our updates!
School of SweetGeorgia is Now Online!
If you are inspired from this week’s conversation about expanding into different crafts, consider checking out our new site: the School of SweetGeorgia. We are currently offering 2 courses: Colour Play and Dyeing Intentional Colour. Each course offers video lessons, detailed workbooks, and online support!
Thanks for Listening!
Thank you so much for joining me this episode! If you enjoyed this episode, please share it with your fellow knitting friends. And if you like what I’m doing here, please leave a rating and review on iTunes for the show. I read each and every email and bit of feedback, whether it’s on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook, so I welcome your comments.
Thanks so much Jean for joining me on the show!
The Young and Beautiful – by Ivory Hours
Fallin’ – by Jetty Rae (on Noise Trade)