This week Felicia is talking with knitwear designer Martina Behm. Martina, a mother of two who currently resides in Northern Germany, has been knitting since she was 12 but started getting serious about it in 2006. Since that time she has developed many fun and well-loved knitting patterns including the Trillian shawl, the Brickless shawl, and the Hitchhiker shawl (which has been knit nearly 28,000 times on Ravelry alone!). In addition to designing knitting patterns, Martina has expanded her online store to include new items such as a paper planner for knitters.
Please join us for this week’s conversation about keeping your “knitting mojo”, massive yarn stashes, and utilizing organization tools to make more time for knitting!
On prioritizing knitting despite her hectic schedule: “For many people… they do all their chores and they do all their work and then… when they have the time, they sit down and knit… That just doesn’t work for me. I need to make knitting a priority because it’s so essential for me to be able to create and… just sit and relax. I think it’s really important to find… those little islands during the day where you can just sit down and knit.” — Martina Behm
In this episode, we talk about:
- 1:49 Martina tells Felicia how she first started knitting
- 4:15 Felicia asks Martina to describe her style and aesthetics behind her knitting patterns
- 7:04 Martina describes how she transitioned from knitting baby patterns for her children and being a freelance journalist to designing her own patterns
- 11:17 Felicia and Martina chat about how Martina started a knitting blog in her own unique style
- 12:40 Martina tells Felicia about her large yarn stash and how important impulsivity is to her creative process
- 17:00 Martina and Felicia talk about how Martina prioritizes time for knitting while being a busy mother of two and a knitwear designer
- 21:18 Chatting about Martina’s new Strickplaner knitting planner and how it can keep knitters organized
- 28:50 How Martina gets her “knitting mojo” back when she loses inspiration
- 30:50 Where to find Martina online and where you can order your own Strickplaner!
- 32:10 Felicia’s final notes
Links and Things
Here’s where to find Martina online:
- Website: www.strickmich.de
- Strickplaner Website: www.knitting-planner.com
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/strickmich
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/strickmich
- Ravelry: www.ravelry.com/designers/martina-behm
Thanks for Listening!
Thank you so much for joining me this episode! If you enjoyed this episode, please share it with your fellow knitting friends. And if you like what I’m doing here, please leave a rating and review on iTunes for the show. I read each and every email and bit of feedback, whether it’s on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook, so I welcome your comments.
Thank you so much Martina for joining me on the show!
The Young and Beautiful – by Ivory Hours
Fallin’ – by Jetty Rae (on Noise Trade)