This week Felicia is joined by Romi Hill, a knitwear and jewelry designer. Romi is an inspiration as a knitwear designer who has been working in a very specialized niche in the knitting world. She designs gorgeous shawl pins that go with her equally gorgeous lace shawl patterns. Romi’s work is breathtakingly delicate and awe-inspiring so it’s no surprise her Ravelry group is over 9,000 members strong!
Please join us today as Felicia chats with Romi about how she found her passion in designing lace shawls and crafting exquisite shawl pins.
On choosing a yarn colour for a shawl: “…I love colour… when I get the right colour for the right pattern it sort of sings to me… I go by how it feels, how the pattern feels to me, or how what I have in my head feels… Whatever sings to you.” — Romi Hill
In this episode, we talk about:
- 1:22 Felicia asks Romi how she first got interested in knitting and jewelry making
- 9:02 Romi describes how she changed her career from music to knitwear and jewellery design
- 16:25 Romi and Felcia chat about Romi’s Pins and Lace Club which is now in it’s 9th year!
- 19:44 Felicia chats with Romi about her subscription based business model, her e-book subscriptions, her 7 Small Shawls to Knit collections, Romi’s secret “sock hate”, and her 7 reSizeable Shawls pattern collection
- 27:24 Felicia asks Romi how she writes her lace patterns (chart VS written)
- 30:13 How to choose yarn for lace projects
- 37:06 How Romi chooses colours for her lace projects
- 38:52 Where to find Romi online and keep up with her latest works
- 41:45 Felicia’s final notes and podcast giveaway!
Links and Things
Here’s where to find Romi online:
- Website: www.designsbyromi.com (Check out this site to sign up for the 2018 Romi’s Pins and Lace Club!)
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/romidesigns
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/RomiDesigns
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/DesignsbyRomi
- Ravelry Group: www.ravelry.com/groups/-romis-studio
Win Romi’s 7 reSizeable Shawls e-book and workbook plus a signed copy of Romi’s wonderful book, New Lace Knitting! An amazing package that any lace lover would love to have in their collection! Simply enter your info here and we’ll enter you in the giveaway and also subscribe you to our SweetGeorgia updates, so you won’t miss out on any of our updates!
Thanks for Listening!
Thank you so much for joining me this episode! If you enjoyed this episode, please share it with your fellow knitting friends. And if you like what I’m doing here, please leave a rating and review on iTunes for the show. I read each and every email and bit of feedback, whether it’s on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook, so I welcome your comments.
Thank you so much to Romi for joining us this week!
The Young and Beautiful – by Ivory Hours
Fallin’ – by Jetty Rae (on Noise Trade)