This week Felicia chats with Maryanne Moodie: a weaver, creative artist, and instructor. Maryanne is a fibre-obsessed maker working between Melbourne and New York. She divides her time between designing woven wall hangings, developing weaving kits, and teaching sold out workshops around the world. She has published a book On the Loom: A Modern Weaver’s Guide as well as two online weaving courses. Her designs are lush, tactile, and gorgeous and have been featured in New York Magazine, Anthology, O Magazine,and Design*Sponge.
In this episode Felicia and Maryanne discuss balancing life and art and how our craft can aid us in expressing our emotions in a healthy outlet. Please join us for this week’s conversation!
On reactions to her weavings: “You may not know the artist’s life, but sometimes you’re just drawn to a piece. And even though… you don’t know what they were going through or what story they are trying to tell you, if they can create an emotional connection between themselves and you… then that’s art.” — Maryanne Moodie
In this episode, we talk about:
- 2:10 Maryanne chats about splitting her time between her studios in Brooklyn, New York and Melbourne, Australia
- 3:22 An introduction to Maryanne’s style of frame loom weaving
- 6:56 How Maryanne found her way to weaving and the weaving community online
- 13:10 Discussing how Instagram has brought the weaving community together to share works and resources
- 15:25 Felicia and Maryanne discuss motherhood, identity, and using crafting to cope with life’s daily demands
- 23:47 Maryanne talks about developing her online weaving classes
- 30:35 Chatting about Maryanne’s weaving process and how the craft helps her experience emotions fully
- 38:40 How to balance family life, business, and make the most of the limited time you have to dedicate to your craft
- 40:15 How various emotions are represented in different aspects of Maryanne’s weaving
- 42:43 The ladies discuss how sometimes “just pretty” art doesn’t draw people in and the freedom of “weaving weird”
- 46:30 Maryanne chats about the future of weaving
- 51:28 Tips for the beginning weaver
- 56:10 Felicia’s final notes and podcast giveaway
Links and Things
Here’s where to find Maryanne:
- Website: www.maryannemoodie.com
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/maryannemoodie
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/maryannemoodie
If you are interested in keeping in the loop with what Maryanne is up to, please sign up for her monthly newsletter on her website!
Win a copy of Maryanne’s wonderful book On the Loom: A Modern Weaver’s Guide! Simply enter your info here and we’ll enter you in the giveaway and also subscribe you to our SweetGeorgia updates, so you won’t miss out on any of our updates!
Please Join us for SweetGeorgia’s FIRST Mystery Knit-Along!
Ready? Set? Go! SweetGeorgia’s first ever Mystery Shawl Knit-along is happening now! The pattern is currently available on Ravelry in advance of the MKAL at a 25% discount until October 31, 2017. There is still time to participate, so come join the fun on our Ravelry page!
Thanks for Listening!
Thank you so much for joining me this episode! If you enjoyed this episode, please share it with your fellow fiber-loving friends. And if you like what I’m doing here, please leave a rating and review on iTunes for the show. I read each and every email and bit of feedback, whether it’s on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook, so I welcome your comments.
Thank you again to Maryanne for joining us on the show!
The Young and Beautiful – by Ivory Hours
Fallin’ – by Jetty Rae (on Noise Trade)