As you know, we love working with colour… it’s kind of a thing we do at SweetGeorgia. We incorporate our colours into knitting through colourwork like fair isle, intarsia, knitting stripes, or holding strands together… but there is a knitting technique that we haven’t done much of at SweetGeorgia, and that is mosaic knitting.
Today, we are joined by knitwear designer, Barbara Benson, who has just released a new book that combines two-colour mosaic knitting with lace knitting… and this technique and the projects in this book are seriously awesome and I can’t wait for Barbara to tell you all about this book. Barbara lives in Tucker, Georgia and this book, Mosaic & Lace Knits: 20 Innovative Patterns combining Slip-Stich Colourwork and Lace Techniques was published in March 2017 and is her very first book. She has also previously had her knitwear designs published in Interweave Knits, Twist Collective, Knitscene, and Knit Now magazines.
“Apparently that’s what you have to have to knit… needles, yarn, and Barbara Walker.” — Barbara Benson
In this episode, we talk about:
- 2:00 How Ravelry influenced Barbara’s story of learning to knit
- 7:00 On being project monogamous
- 8:00 On starting knitwear design — Needles, Yarn, and Barbara Walker
- 11:00 On being the Design Coordinator for Malabrigo and working at a distance
- 15:45 About WatchBarbaraKnit, Barbara’s YouTube channel
- 20:45 Unboxing of Barbara’s book, Mosaic & Lace Knits, on YouTube
- 22:45 All about mosaic knitting and the book
- 30:00 Love Child shawl pattern
- 30:30 Quatrefoil Cap pattern
- 31:00 Cover shawl pattern
- 31:30 Barbara’s advice for creating 2-colour combinations
- 35:00 Using variegated yarns in mosaic knitting
- 38:00 Skill level for mosaic and lace knitting
Links and Things
Here’s where to find Barbara:
- Website: tumpedduck.com
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/
- FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/
- Ravelry Group: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/
Mosaic & Lace Knits Book Giveaway
Barbara has generously offered one listener a copy of her brand new book. To give as many listeners as possible a chance to enter, we will keep this giveaway open until the end of April and then draw a winner after that date. Simply enter your info below and we’ll enter you in the giveaway and also subscribe you to our SweetGeorgia updates, so you won’t miss a thing.
The SweetGeorgia Show // podcast announcement, end of Season 2 is coming…
Just a reminder that we will be tying up season 2 of The SweetGeorgia Show podcast in a few weeks. We still have another episode with Jen Lucas about her latest book of knitwear designs which will be coming out next month. And Felicia will do a Q&A episode to close off the season!
During the podcast hiatus, Felicia will be working on a big project. It’s a little early to go into too much detail, but it’s about colour, craft, and education. If you are interested in being one of the first to hear about what we launch when we launch it, vague as it might be, I invite you to enter your email address below for me. I’ll let you know details when I have them.
If you are interested in having a say about what I make next, I absolutely would welcome your thoughts and feedback! You can let me know through a quick survey at: http://bit.ly/sgyshow. In fact, if you complete that survey, you will receive a coupon code that you can use on our SweetGeorgia online shop to get $5 off anything you like.
Thanks for Listening!
Thank you so much for joining me this episode! If you enjoyed this episode, please share it with your fellow knitting friends. And if you like what I’m doing here, please leave a rating and review on iTunes for the show. I read each and every email and bit of feedback, whether it’s on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook, so I welcome your comments.
Thank you so much to Barbara for joining me this episode. Until next time!
The Young and Beautiful – by Ivory Hours
Kerosene – by Jetty Rae (on Noise Trade)