Dyeing

Accidents in carding.

It was not a happy meeting today, the skin of my hand and the sharp metal teeth of my electric drum carder. However, it was a fantastic meeting this morning with a lovely fellow fibre fanatic who inspired me to unleash said drum carder. But rather than obsessing about my scraped hand, let’s obsess about the pretty puffs that it produced…

Gotland fleece, carded up and ready for spinning

I swear, I’ve been trying to be completely authentic with this fleece. Purchased in raw form, I was on my hands and knees by the bathtub washing this thing. Then, delicately dyeing chunks of it in natural dye… my plan was to then card and spin all of it into worsted weight yarn which would then end up in a handwoven blanket… and then I got bored.

That green fleece really shouldn’t be there, but I like it.

I didn’t want to spin a whole pound of cochineal-dyed fleece and then another pound of logwood-dyed fleece, etc. So instead, I just started to randomly drop hand teased fleece into the feed tray of the carder. These are like happy accidents. I hope they’ll end up spinning into some nicely heathered and randomly coloured yarns. And, most inauthentic of all, I have a large chunk of fleece that I overdyed in green acid dye. I thought all those natural pinks and purples needed a hit of green.

And for a nice hit of colour to dream about this weekend…

Silk bricks. I could eat this.
author-avatar

About Felicia Lo

founder + creative director of SweetGeorgia // designer + dreamer // wife + mama // dyer, knitter, spinner, weaver, youtuber + author // been writing this blog about colour and craft since 2004 // see what I am making @lomeetsloom and @sweetgeorgia.

Back to list

Related Posts

14 thoughts on “Accidents in carding.

1. meowgirl says:

wow… that final bundle of silk fills me with so. much. lust.

2. meowgirl says:

wow… that final bundle of silk fills me with so. much. lust.

3. Jagienka says:

Oh, what a lovely silk. Yumm! Looks delicious ;o)

4. Jagienka says:

Oh, what a lovely silk. Yumm! Looks delicious ;o)

5. kittykitty says:

I have to agree the final bundle of silk may be the prettiest silk roving I have ever seen. I must say I am “green” with envy.

I also really love the bundles at the top with the little hints of colour mixed in. I can not wait to see it spun up.

6. kittykitty says:

7. Susan says:

Love those batts. I like making happy accidents like that. And I know what you mean about the drum carder, I prick my finger on the licker in all the time. It hurts!

8. Susan says:

9. Donald says:

Oh my! The green and blue silk! It looks like apple and blueberry cotton candy. I must have some…

10. Donald says:

11. GeekKnitter says:

I can just never get over how shiny silk is.

12. GeekKnitter says:

I can just never get over how shiny silk is.

13. beth says:

The silk it’s like icecream! Gorgeous! I have a question regarding logwood. What do you pre-mordant your fiber with?
    I did something stupid and just threw some handspund directly into a pot. Now the color is just washing out. I want to get to exhaust, but it’s taking too long. Alum? Would that help? I am going to over dye the skein after I play around with it. It turned out a dreary grey/purple color.

Thanks!