Welcome knitters! We’re one of the blog tour stops for Stephannie Tallent’s new book, Hitch: Patterns Inspired by the Films of Alfred Hitchcock. We’re doing a giveaway with this post… read through to the bottom!
Mmmm, just in time for scary movie season… Have you seen the film, The Birds? It’s Alfred Hitchcock’s crazy and frightening movie about people being attacked by vicious birds and it served as Jill Bigelow Suttell’s inspiration for these Tippi Toes socks! Here’s what she says:
Tippi Toes are inspired by the films The Birds and Marnie, both starring Tippi Hedren. Each element of these toe-up socks captures an element of Hedren’s characters in these films. The stitch patterns represent both bird wings and the “V” formation of birds in flight. The red cuffs signify Marnie’s fear of red. Also, Marnie has a habit of pulling at her skirts to be sure her knees were covered so I thought it might be fun to make the sock ribbing cover the knee or be folded over below the knee.
These main body of the socks are knit in Tough Love Sock in Slate and then finished off with a cuff in China Doll. If you check out all the other patterns in the Hitch collection, you’ll notice the colour palette is entirely red, black and grey! It captures that creepy suspenseful feeling of black & white films and imagined horror. There are nearly 30 designs in this collection and there is everything from gloves to shawls, sweaters to socks!
Tippi Toes Socks Giveaway
I’d love to see our winner knit these socks! Leave a comment here on this post, naming your favorite Hitch-inspired knitwear design from the collection and we’ll do a random draw for the winner. To the winner, we’ll send 2 skeins of Tough Love Sock in Slate and 1 skein in China Doll so you can knit up these socks. And we’ll find a way to get you the pattern too. This giveaway will be open to commenters in the United States and Canada. Leave a comment here by midnight PST of October 31 to be entered in the giveaway!
Check out the blog tour
- 9/28/2013: Sunset Cat Designs
- 10/5/2013: Knitting Kninja
- 10/7/2013: Herrlichkeiten
- 10/8/2013: Knit and Travel
- 10/9/2013: Knit & Knag Designs
- 10/10/2013: Wooly Wonka Fibers
- 10/11/2013: Verdant Gryphon
- 10/15/2013: Impeccable Knits: Shifting Stitches
- 10/16/2013: Rewolluzza
- 10/21/2013: Knitwear Designs by Carolyn Noyes
- 10/22/2013: Peacefully Knitting
- 10/23/2013: Dark Matter Knits
- 10/24/2013: Turnknit: Dani Berg Designs
- 10/25/2013: SweetGeorgia Yarns
- 10/28/2013: doviejay knits
- 10/29/2013: Triona Designs
- 10/30/2013: Tactile Fiber Arts
- 11/4/2013: A Knitter’s Life
- 11/5/2013: Catchloops
- 11/6/2013: Yarn On The House
- 11/07/2013: Ramblings
- 11/9/2013: Fyberspates
- 11/12/2013: Hazel Knits
- 11/13/2013: Knitcircus
- 11/19/2013: indigodragonfly
- 11/22/2013: A B-ewe-tiful Design
- 11/25/2013: knittingkirigami
Update: Our randomly selected winner is KateW (knitschmidt on Ravelry)! Congratulations Kate and thanks everybody for participating. We’ll have your pattern and yarn out as soon as we can!