I envisioned a loaf of french bread, with slices in the top. Bread reminded me of Brioche… so I designed it using the brioche stitch, and made a reversible cable to reflect the slices in the french bread. It seemed silly, and fun, and I loved the finished effect.
Adamello is truly and purely sumptuous and lofty, especially knit in our bulky Superwash Six (though it would look just as amazing in our new Superwash Soft, too). With texture that is rich in depth and a weight that is as warm as it is cozy, this quick-to-knit accessory is everything you could possibly wish for in a fall project.
Kristen’s Tip for Knitting Adamello
The trickiest thing I found was counting the rows between the cables. There are 15 rows worked between each cable, but because of the slipped stitches of the brioche stitch, it looks like there are only 7 rows on both sides of the scarf. I would constantly loose count of the 15 rows, or have to put it down somewhere in the middle and have to count the rows. Once I figured out to count 7 rows on each side, things felt much easier.
Also, placing a marker into the fabric, or at the beginning of a row to indicate which is the RS row made this whole row-counting thing a lot easier too. I highly recommend that!
Behind the Brilliance: Kristen’s Five Faves
- Fave way to spend the evening after work: I’m a work-at-home mom, so my work day is pretty much spread out throughout the day… I get up super early and work before my son wakes up, at naptime, and again when my partner is taking care of bath and story time. The rest of the day I enjoy spending with my family, bringing my son out to town to do things he enjoys, food shopping, etc… In the afternoon and evenings, sometimes we take a nice long walk through the woods, down the dirt road that we live on, or spend time in our yard, cleaning up. I’m also trying to maintain a daily at-home yoga and meditation practice to help me stay sane. ;)
- Fave yarn weight: My favorite yarn weight varies between DK, worsted and aran depending on the day and how much patience I’m feeling, or what I’m looking for in a design. I guess Bulky would have to be added in there too… for the pure squishyness of it and the instant-gratification factor.
- Fave guilty pleasure: Chocolate and caramel. mhmmm…
- Fave fall colours: There are SOOOO many great fall colors! It’s really hard to choose… and impossible to explain with words. So, here’s a picture of some ones that I like a lot.
- Fave thing to wear in the fall: I like to layer, since the mornings and evenings can be pretty chilly and the afternoons can be warm. I can often be seen wearing yoga pants (I confess… ) with a tank top under a long-sleeve T-shirt, and hoodie. Later in the fall I add in some fingerless mitts and my Violet Hat (https://kristentendyke.com/products/violet-hat). Sometimes there’s what I call my “Sweater of the year” that gets worn pretty much daily all Fall and Winter. I haven’t finished this years sweater, but I have my Alice Hoodie (https://kristentendyke.com/products/alice-hoodie) on the needles.
Colour Options to Try
We were so inspired by Kristen’s favorite colours, that we put together a palette of the perfect matches to those shades. What do you think?