Today I want to talk about distractions and diversions — things I’ve been making to kind of avoid knitting that second sleeve of my sweater.
I’ve been working on many other things besides the knitting of my stranded colourwork sweater. This sweater… it’s coming along and everything is going to be fine. I’m knitting the sleeve, but I also want something else to do.
So, there have been a couple of things I’ve been recently distracted by. I think a lot of it is because I’ve been learning so many new things this year. I’m very lucky because I get to be at the studio during the filming of the School of SweetGeorgia classes, and so I get to see al the instructors as they come through. I get to see all of their excitement about the things they create, work on and teach, and I have been sucked in by too many of the things they’ve been teaching us! And so in today’s Taking Back Friday, I’m going to show you a little bit about what I’ve been doing, including the new punch needle projects inspired by the new SOS Modern Punch Needle course.
I would love to hear from you if you’ve tried any punch needle – how has your experience gone? Share your projects with me! Send me your Instagram links to things you’d like me to see about punch needle. I’m still learning and exploring this whole world as well and would love to learn more about it.
IN THIS EPISODE
- what I’m wearing: In today’s video, I’m wearing The Throwback cardigan, designed by Andrea Mowry. I knit mine in SweetGeorgia Superwash Worsted in the yarn set Wonder Years. Find all of our Throwback/Throwover yarn sets here. I knit size 2 and used every single inch of the 4 skeins of main colour. For this sweater, I also used the Chiaogoo Bamboo SPIN knitting needles.
- what I mention: Here are links to the items mentioned in today’s video…
- I show some of my recent spinning I’ve completed on my Ashford E-Spinner 3 plus talk about the spinning I’ve been learning through recent School of SweetGeorgia spinning courses. Spinning Sheep Breeds taught by Rachel Smith is available now, and Kim McKenna’s Spinning Better Yarns course where we learn to spin with a distaff (among other things) will be coming later this year. See what is coming soon to the SOS here.
- The pattern I’m crocheting right now is Maria Valles of Rove Handmade’s Granny Cocoon Shrug. I’m working it up in SweetGeorgia Mohair Silk DK yarn in Evening. I hope to put together a little tutorial to help show how to work a granny square. As well, Charlotte will be teaching a crochet shawl class at the School later this year, based on her After Midnight shawl design.
- I talk about our new SOS Modern Punch Needle course taught by Sahm Jalbert. We have Punch Needle kits available to order, plus you can find further tools at Sahm’s Kussen and Kiss shop. Sahm can also be found on Instagram @kussenandkiss. You can also find Leah’s recent punch needle projects on Instagram at @thecraftycolon.
- I mention buying my first punch needle supplies right prior to talking with Andrea Rangel as a guest on The SweetGeorgia Show podcast, Episode 76.
- want to learn more about fibre arts? We’d love for you to join us over at the School of SweetGeorgia! We have an array of fibre arts courses available for all skill levels, plus you can chat with instructors and fellow makers in the SOS Community Forums. If you are new to the SOS site, you can sign up for a 14-day trial for only $1, with access to everything that SOS has to offer. Enter the coupon code: CRAFTWITHUS on the plan of your choice on our sign-up page.