Today, in this week’s Taking Back Friday vlog, I have lots and lots of things to share with you all about colour and yarn, knitting and spinning, and so many good things.
I talk a bit about the filming of a new weaving class that will be coming to the School of SweetGeorgia (see my recent baby blanket project as part of this class at @lomeetsloom), and also about the course that just launched this past week at the SOS site — Colour & Fibre Play, taught by Diana Twiss! In Diana’s new class, it’s all about spinning with blended colour and carded colour. Colour you make on hackles, drum carders, blending boards, hand cards or hand combs, and using these fibre prep tools to create fibre that is super colourful and super fun. And so I want to show you some of Diana’s beautifully blended rolags and fibre in today’s video.
Now, for knitting… I share a shawl that was knit using our new Summer Dusk sock blank colourway (of which, the beautifully saturated and vibrant colours of this sock blank so perfectly represent how blazing hot it was during this past week’s heat wave). And, let’s talk about Advent! We’ve been working on it for months already and I’m finally ready to tell you a little bit about what’s happening for this year’s advent calendar…
As I mention in the video, preorders for our 2021 Advent calendar are going to be happening very, very soon. It’s a hint that if you are interested in our Advents for this year, I encourage you to sign up for our email newsletter list.
Let me know in the comments below what your favourite thing is about knitting or crafting with advent calendars. What do you love the most about them? Is it the mystery of what’s going to be opened every day, or seeing the final project at the end? I would love to hear your thoughts!
IN THIS EPISODE
- what I’m wearing in today’s video: I’m wearing my Navelli tee designed by Caitlin Hunter. I knit my version from two skeins of test-dyed Tough Love Sock (closest colour is Deep Cove), plus one skein each of Fauna and Auburn. We also have a couple of Navelli yarn sets still available here.
- what I mention in today’s video: Here are links to sone of the items mentioned in today’s vlog…
- My Schacht Baby Wolf Loom, which normally lives in my dining room, was brought into the studio to film a weaving class for the School – weaving twills using a 4-shaft loom. The recent baby blanket project was woven using Gist Beam Organic 3/2 Cotton yarn.
- Our new Colour & Fibre Play Kit plus the Spinning Mix-Ins Kit which Diana used for all sorts of colour experiments, blending this fibre together. Follow and find more beautifully blended and handspun fibre made by Diana on Instagram @dianatwiss.
- The SOS Colour Play class teaching how to mix & match different colours, and how to make colour combinations, when working on knitting or crocheting projects
- The shawl shown in the video, and in the photo above, is the Summer Brights pattern designed by Tabetha Hedrick, knit using our Summer Dusk limited-edition sock blank colourway.
- In talking about what we’re planning for this year’s Advents, I also show photos of our previous Advent patterns: Winter Dawn, Frosted Lace, and the three 2020 Advent patterns. Don’t forget to make sure you’re on our email newsletter list to be notified first when our 2021 Advent launches. There will be limited quantities available.
- want to learn more about spinning and the fibre arts? If you are at all interested in spinning with carded fibre prep and making textured or heathered yarns, I really encourage you to check out Diana’s new class and all the other spinning classes we have at the School of SweetGeorgia. There is an array of fibre arts courses for all skill levels, plus you can chat with instructors and fellow makers in the SOS Community Forums. If you are new to the SOS site, you can sign up for a 14-day trial for only $1, with access to everything that SOS has to offer. Enter the coupon code: CRAFTWITHUS on the plan of your choice on our sign-up page.