If you know anything about me, or about SweetGeorgia, hopefully you’ll know that the number one most important thing for me is colour.
We’ve been making hand-dyed yarn since 2005. I used to make it in my dining room and then we moved to a studio and then to another studio, and I believe that we’re at our sixth studio now. We make hand-dyed yarns and spinning fibres, and twice a year, we come up with new seasonal colourways for our yarns. We have around 80 colourways that never change, they’re called our Core Collection, and then outside of that, we create two seasonal collections – one for autumn & winter and one for spring & summer. And on today’s Taking Back Friday episode, I want to talk about what the importance of colour means to me, as well as show you what’s going on for our 2021 fall and winter colour collection.
I’ve always believed that the colours we surround ourselves with, they make a difference. The colours we wear, they make a difference to our mood, what we’re feeling, everything. And so you’ll notice that, with our different seasonal collections, we’re expressing a mood, a vibe – we’re expressing what we feel in the moment.
Our 2021 Spring & Summer collection was really bold colours, vibrant colours, getting out there colours. Really expressing the feeling of getting outside and going out. And now this season is completely different. The colourways are really calm and cozy… toasted kind of colours. Muted and desaturated. They’re really meant to evoke a cozy and chill vibe or mood. Really what many of us might want to be surrounded by.
I’m really curious to hear about what your thoughts are about colour for the seasons. What colours are you surrounding yourself with right now? What kind of colours do you feel express your mood at this time? I’m so curious to hear, and would love to hear from you in the comments!
IN THIS EPISODE
- what I mention in today’s video: Here are links to items I talk about in today’s vlog…
- You can find out more about all of our new Autumn & Winter 2021 colourway releases, including the two new Party of Five sets shown in the video: Coffee Date and Tea Time, at our Autumn/Winter 2021 blog post. For our Spring & Summer 2021 collection also shown in the video, you can find more information about these releases here.
- If you are interested in learning about working with hand-dyed colours – how to mix and combine different colours, I encourage you to check out my Knitting with Hand-Dyed Colour course at the School of SweetGeorgia. We will also be releasing my Spinning with Intentional Colour course at the School later next month – you can see more information about the courses coming soon at the SOS Content Roadmap.
- At the School, I also hope you join us for our Spinning Study Group which is starting on September 1st.
- And a reminder about our mystery knit-along which we cast on this week, Quiet Bay, that was designed by one of our Designers In Residence, Ruth Nguyen. If you still want to participate, you can jump in anytime!
- want to learn more about spinning and the fibre arts? I welcome you to come visit all of the different levels of fibre arts classes available at the School of SweetGeorgia. Right now is an excellent time to come and visit us at the School to save on quarterly and annual memberships with our Back to School Special! Find more information about our SOS Membership page.