Today we’re going to talk about knitting and knitting sweaters. I recently started knitting a new sweater using the yarn I talked about in last week’s episode, where I had also mentioned that SweetGeorgia is having a 30% off sweater yarn sale. Well, we’ve extended this sale all the way until November 23rd! So, if you’re looking to make a sweater with some of our yarns, I wanted to introduce these yarns to help show what the differences are between them all. I also want to talk a little bit about what makes a good sweater yarn for me – what qualities do I look for.
So, join me on today’s Taking Back Friday vlog as I share with you some of the sweaters I’ve made over the past years, as well as some of my favourite yarns.
Listed here are the hand-dyed yarns part of our Sweater Season Sale, plus you can find links to all of the designs in the show notes below…
- Superwash DK // 100% superwash merino wool – 3-ply
- Superwash Worsted // 100% superwash merino wool – 4-ply
- BFL+Silk DK // 75% bluefaced leicester wool, 25% silk – 3-ply
- Flaxen Silk DK // 65% silk, 35% linen – 3-ply
- Mohair Silk DK // 90% superwash merino, 5% super kid mohair, 5% silk – 12-ply
If you do want to knit yourself a sweater this year, I encourage you to go and stock up with these 30% off savings. And I hope to share with you soon progress on my own new sweater project! We’ll see you in the next one!
IN THIS EPISODE
- what I’m wearing in today’s video: I’m wearing my Five by Five cowl design, knit in CashLuxe Fine and Silk Mist. We also have a free Five by Five Cowl workshop available at the School of SweetGeorgia, teaching all the steps for making the cowl.
- what I mention in today’s video: Here are links to items shown in today’s vlog…
- The new sweater project I’m making is Aphra, designed by Isabell Kraemer. I’m knitting mine using BFL+Silk Fine in Blue Canoe.
- The Superwash Worsted knit sweaters shown are Shannon Cook’s Veronika Cardigan, knit in the colourway Mink, and Andrea Mowry’s The Throwback cardigan, knit in Trinket, Watershed, Sea Grass, and Afternoon Nap colourways.
- The BFL+Silk DK sweater is Marie Greene’s Beekeeper Cardigan design, knit in Cayenne. We have a Beekeeper “Little Bee” stitch tutorial at the School, where we’ll also be exploring more on double weave in 2022 (like the woven sample shown).
- In the Mohair Silk DK yarn, the first sweater shown is Beckie Paul’s Sailing Sweater, knit using the Arbutus colourway. Then the Worsted Boxy by Joji Locatelli, knit in Strawberry Tea, and Jennifer Steingass’ Arboreal, knit in Lupine with the yoke using CashLuxe Spark yarn (held doubled). The gauge/needles from these sweaters are: Firm – 3.75mm/US 5, Loose 5.50mm/US 9, and Perfect – 5.0mm/US 8.
- want to learn more about knitting and the fibre arts? I encourage you to come visit all of our knitting course content available at the School of SweetGeorgia (SOS)! There we also have a Knit Your First Sweater course, taught by Tabetha Hedrick, if you are new to sweater knitting. For new members to the School, use the code: CRAFTWITHUS to get 14-day access for only $1!