Are there crafts or techniques, things that are out there that you’ve sort of written off? Things you feel like “Oh, I could never do that” or “I would never try that”?
Lately, I have fallen down a massive rabbit hole that is machine knitting. I did not think that this was ever going to happen and it’s weird that I’m coming here, with two knitting machines, talking to you about all of this kind of stuff. So on today’s Taking Back Friday, I want to share with you about the Silver Reed LK150 mid-gauge and SK280 standard gauge knitting machines I’ve recently been experimenting with. I’m learning how to knit again from the very beginning, but this time, with a knitting machine.
I would love to hear from you – have you fallen down the machine-knitting rabbit hole? Or do you have a knitting machine or have you used one before? I feel like I’m looking for that knitting machine community and I’m not entirely sure where they’re all at. I’m really interested in meeting more people who knit with a machine and know a lot about them. Leave me a comment!
IN THIS EPISODE
- what I mention in today’s video: Here are links to items mentioned in today’s vlog…
- The circular sock knitting machine which is on its way to me is by Erlbacher Knitting Machines – I ordered the Speedster with: 60 and 72 cylinders, equal slot ribber for both sizes, and a reduced ratio crank.
- I watched a couple of videos, including one on how to clean your knitting machine, by Heidi Hennessy who also has a Knitting Machine School.
- I’ve knit with our SweetGeorgia Mohair Silk DK yarn in Velvet Elvis, and I’m planning to make the Worsted Boxy design by Joji Locatelli.
- Other yarns I have tested machine knitting with are: Harrisville Shetland, BFL+Silk Fine, Superwash Worsted, Flaxen Silk Fine and Tough Love Sock.
- interested in learning more about knitting? I encourage you to come and visit us over at the School of SweetGeorgia, where we have a large range of knitting content and fibre arts courses for all levels! As part of our current spring special, use the code: SPRINGSTART to get 7 days for $1 and then 10% off your SOS membership. It’s a great time to see what we’re all about! We hope to see you there!