A few years ago we created an ambassador program at SweetGeorgia and brought together 10 amazing multicraftul makers, knitters and designers to help share our SweetGeorgia story. At the same time, we wanted to help share the word about these incredible, creative people—tell their stories about what they make, how they do it, and specifically, how they find time to do all their creative work.
Today, I’m very excited to share a conversation with Athena Chang, a local Vancouver-based knitter, weaver, and aspiring fashion designer who currently works as a software engineer. We’ve been delighted to support Athena as a SweetGeorgia Ambassador as she was enthusiastic about working to become a knitwear designer. She designed the Boba hat for SweetGeorgia—a colourwork hat featuring the pearls from our favourite bubble tea drink. Join me at today’s video and let’s meet Athena!
Thank you so much to Athena for joining me at today’s conversation! It was so great talking with Athena about where the joy comes for making things. The joy is in the exploration, experimenting and in following curiosity—the sparks of joy from that discovery.
IN THIS EPISODE
- what we mention in today’s video: I’m wearing the Beekeeper Cardigan design by Marie Greene. I knit mine using BFL+Silk DK in Cayenne.
- what we mention in today’s video: Here are quick links to items discussed in the vlog…
- You can find more on Athena both at Ravelry and on Instagram at @athena.makes. Athena’s sweater is The Maya Top design by Gavriella Treminio, knit in SweetGeorgia Flaxen Silk Fine in Desert Clay.
- Modern Punch Needle course taught by Sahm Jalbert of Kussen and Kiss can be found at the School of SweetGeorgia. If you’re interested we have some punch needle kits and supplies at the shop to help get you started.
- The punch needle course Athena took was a part of Knit City Vancouver.
- Bernadette Banner‘s sewing period clothing videos on YouTube.
- You can follow along some of my own process of working with knitting machines.
- School of SweetGeorgia’s Modern Colourwork Knitting course and Designer Process with Tabetha Hedrick.
- Athena’s Yuzu Cowl design and Boba hat design.