A Stranded Colour Work Hat // Design By Athena Chang
Like brown sugar tapioca pearls mixed into freshly brewed tea, the Boba Hat captures your favourite drink in a two-colour stranded colourwork pattern. Taro, jasmine, oolong, matcha… take your pick!
- yarn: 2 skeins SweetGeorgia Yarns Tough Love Sock, 1 each in Apple Pie (MC) Bison (CC) (425 yd / 388 m per 4 oz / 115 g skein; 80% Superwash Merino, 20% Nylon)
- needles: Size 2 US / 2.75 mm needles
Size 4 US / 3.5 mmAdjust needle size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.
- gauge: 26 sts and 34 rnds = 4″ / 10 cm in St st pattern using larger needles, after blocking
For accurate sizing, always take time to check finished gauge.
- finished measurements: Hat brim circumference: 15 ½ (17 ¼, 19, 20 ½)” / 39.5 (44, 48.5, 52) cm
Fitted, non-slouchy Height: 7 1/2 (7 ¾, 9, 9 3/4)” / 19 (19.5, 23, 24.5) cm
Intended to be worn with 2-3” / 5-7.5 cm of negative ease. If you’re between sizes, size down for a snugger fit, and size up for a more relaxed fit.
Sample size shown is 19” / 48.5 cm in circumference.
- pattern notes: Choose a Main Colour that will become the “tea” part of the hat, and a Contrasting Colour that will become both the “boba” and the brim part of the hat.
Note that each hat size is worked up to a different round of the Boba pattern. The two smaller sizes are worked up to Round 25, while the two larger sizes are worked up to Round 32.
The Boba Pattern is both written (see Stitches Used) and charted (p 3) for your preference.
Boba Hat is also shown in Silver (MC) and Trinket (CC) to show off the amazing colourwork options!
Pattern includes a 4-page PDF (both written and charted)