A Bias-knit Stole // Design by Tabetha Hedrick
Sitting on the beach, sipping peach cocktails, and watching the sunset fade into dusk … this stole captures that relaxation with a playful arrangement of both colour and texture. Hints of lace, bee stitch, and ribbing harmonize in shades from light to dark, promising constant interest and fun.
- yarn: 2 SweetGeorgia Yarns Mini Colour Fade sets, 1 each in Sunkissed Fade (MC) and Voyage Fade (CC) (630 yd / 576 m per 6 oz / 168 g set; (80% Superwash merino, 20% Nylon)
- needles: Size 6 US / 4 mm circular needles, 24″ / 60 cm long
Adjust needle size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.
- gauge: 20 sts and 36 rows = 4″ / 10 cm in Garter st, after blocking
Note that gauge is not crucial, but will affect required yardage and finished size.
- finished measurements: 19 ¼” / 49 cm x 65” / 165 cm
- pattern notes: This stole is worked in one piece on the bias, meaning that it begins in one corner, gradually increasing to the desired width, then is worked evenly until shawl reaches the desired length on the longest side, before decreasing into the opposite corner. For MC set, A is the lightest colour though F as the darkest colour. For CC set, G is the darkest colour and L is the lightest colour. Please see the colour guide and schematic (p 5) for exact colour layout. You may prefer to follow the colour instructions as they are specified here, or to maximize the use of your yarn, divide each skein into halves (using a kitchen scale) and work each section until the ball runs out of yarn, as desired. The Lace, Bee, and Rib stitch instructions are both written (see Stitches Used) and charted (p 3) for your preference.
Pattern includes a 6 page PDF (both written and charted)