While we know cables are warm and thick (and add a dazzling array of texture to the fabric), one of my favourite aspects of cabling is the ability to shift colours. Simply by swapping the position of a few stitches, the speckles and tones of our yarn take on a whole new dimension.
In Stitch Diaries: Season Two, we’re going to play with a few different cable arrangements to see what they look like in a variegated yarn. With the exclusive Tabby Café colourway and a custom top-down sock recipe, we’ll experiment with direction, height, and depth. How far can the colours go? How much do they blend in or stand out from the background? We’ll test our theories out over six unique cable stitch patterns and a top-down sock recipe.
Stitch Diaries: Season Two includes:
- A unique, custom colourway imagined and dyed by one of our SweetGeorgia dyers: Tabby Café on Mohair Silk Sock
- A coordinating semi-solid: Campfire on Mohair Silk Sock
- A 16-page booklet that is half stitch dictionary and half pattern recipe. There are 6 stitch patterns, both written and charted, and a Top-Down Sock Recipe to mix and match your favourite stitch.
- A 3 oz soy & coconut wax blend candle with a wooden wick, handmade by Camp Candle Co.
- A Fox & Pine Stitches point protectors
These patterns are just the first step in an endless process of discovery, offering you an equally unending amount of pattern opportunities to test. Knitting is a powerful practice that takes us right to the center between imagination and creativity. I hope Stitch Diaries Season Two shows you all the possibilities.
Visit the School of SweetGeorgia for loads of workshops and tutorial resources to help bump your skills and discover new techniques!